Friday 30 September 2011

World Cup Rugby 2011

I doubt that Americans will truely grasp the chaos of world cup rugby time. Think of it as the Super Bowl. I don't know about the other participating countries, but in South Africa people freak out when it's world cup rugby time. It happens only once every four years. We (South Africa) won the last World Cup, so this year the fans are extra zealous. it is being held in New Zeeland this, but do you think that matters any, it might as well have been held in SA again.

Every time SA's Springboks plays a match 90% of the country wears Springbok Jerseys and through out the world cup every thing (and I mean EVERYTHING) is decorated in green and yellow. We decorate more for rugby time than we do for Christmas. It's truely remarkable how everybody comes together for this sport.

Now I don't support rugby, and you might call me childish, but I dont like rugby because in school I was bullied by rugby players. Rugby players here are equal to the football in America or football (the soccer type) in England. The school rugby team is always the jocks and the main freakin peacocks. And I have always been the weird girl, even when I dress up like one of the popular girls. So they didn't particularly like me and they made it very clear.

But wait i'm getting of the topic here. What I am trying to get to is that today is a match day. Everybody in my office is wearing green and gold jerseys, except for me ofcourse. Our one director brought a tiny little tv to work and now, even as I'm typing this, they are all gathered in the boardroom watching the game. The bought snacks and biltong(dried meat, you don't know what you're missing if you've never tasted it, ask anybody who has) and cooldrinks and dipps and stuff and now they are all sitting there making the weirdest sounds!!

It's really quite funny, seriously you should see this. I tried go take a picture to post, but I got trown with an empty dip container (thank god it was empty). So I'm sorry. Oh and the 'oooooo's and 'aaaaa's that's coming from that room, dear heavens these people are passionate about their sport.

I went out to go take a smoke a while a go and I was watching them through the window, and they were jumping up and down hands on the heads, screaming at that little tv like it was a receptor through which the players could hear their not so professional advice.

 Oh this is not so farfetched over here, believe. You do not understand Afrikaans Boer people. Even as children they are quite relentless when it comes to rugby. This little boy is probaly shouting 'Fok die All Blacks!' which means fuck the all blacks.
 This is SA winning the last world cup. Whaching the final game is one of the last things I did with my dad before he died. Even though I hate rugby, I cried with my dad when we won.
 Oh and this really actually happens alot also, it's still one of the less outragous pictures I've seen.

 The last part of this advert says MOER HULLE. There is no real translation for MOER, it's 'hit' but the curse word version of it. HULLE means them. So it's just a crude way of saying hit them.















I'm very sorry, but I can't support a sport that is based on 36 guys running after one freakin ball. What the hell? Are the gay? Do they all have some weird one ball fetish? No thanks, not for me, I like two balls and nobody else better be running after the same ones I am!!!

3 comments:

  1. LOL oh, that last comment made me laugh so hard!
    I don't mind a little bit of sport...but I'm not a big fan myself. We have AFL in Australia and I've never been a diehard supported like my family is...I just watch all the fans go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey but you Ausie people, aren't you're people also into rugby. Dude, new zeeland is like right next to you, you must be feeling the heat over there!!! I know for Tri Nations it's always Australia, New zeeland and South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol A lot of Australia is into rugby but where I'm from the majority of us aren't haha

    ReplyDelete